I know. I know. It’s been quite some time since we last had a heart-to-heart chat. But you know me better than anyone on this planet. I just keep getting busier and busier till I reach the burnt-out point and then I spoil myself silly with overindulgence – till my skin scurries. My eyes, hair, nails and skin are all grouchy. Why do I do this?
I can overcome self-neglect…
But then again, how about giving myself tiny goals and patting myself every time I achieve them? How about squeezing in 5 minutes for myself? Yes, I can! OK, so what’s on my checklist?
- I’m not buying any under-eye cream or skin cream just because my best friend bought it.
- If I can’t make sense of the fancy-shanty ingredients (read chemicals) in the creams, then I’m not buying them.
- I’m indulging in only those beauty products that suit me.
- I need to understand my skin, personality, preferences.
- Mum… act on the above.
What am I?
So, after I checked myself from succumbing to the pressure of buying ‘just because’ (eyes rolling) plus, those bizarre chemicals (I’d have to be an Einstein to understand those terms); I feel good. Isn’t that so, my dear me?
Now to the next point. What am I? What suits me and my skin?
Ayurveda has the answers…
After frantic online search I stop at age-old Ayurveda – the knowledge of life. At least, I’d be nurturing myself then. No side-effects. So, here’s what I find:
- My long-term and stable energy-field or basic constitution is my prakriti.
- My prakriti is basically made up of 3 main dishes: Vat, Pitta and Kaph.
- I could be either one or a combination of the three – Vat-Pitta, Pitta-Kaph, Atakapa and Vat-Pitta-Kaph.
- I need to consult an Ayurveda practitioner for finding out my most dominant or leading prakriti type.
But how will I use my osha as a part of my skincare regime…
All right, I have all this knowledge now. How do I apply it on me? Easy.
BALANCE YOUR DOSHA.
Yes, balance your osha. That’s what Ayurveda is all about. Harmony.
- So, if I’m a Vat (which means I’m thin, energetic, have irregular sleep patterns, dry skin) then I need something hydrating, soothing and protect my skin from harsh climate.
- If I’m a Pitta (I have oily skin that is prone to turning red and I get irritable when I’m tired) then I need something that is chemicals-free, no strong fragrances and protect me from the sun.
- If I’m a Kaph (I’m heavy build, tend to gain weight easily, have dull skin, can get stubborn) then I need a good but gentle cleansing products and light moisturizers.
One size doesn’t fit all. I am unique. So are my skincare needs.
I’ll spare myself the why-didn’t-I-think-of-this-before guilt trip. All that matters is that I feel safe and cared for. Goodbye neglect and chemicals. Hello healing touch and Ayurveda.
A beginner’s guide including a checklist to Ayurvedic Doshi’s and how to decode them to suit your skin type